Spring is in full swing here in the Pacific Northwest and nearly all our favorite bulbs and flowering trees have blossomed. That means summer is just around the corner!
If you’re a planner like me, you’re probably already scoping out what’s happening in your city this summer, and marking up your calendar with everything you want to do. Why not plan a special night out (or several) with your special someone? Here are six ideas to get you started.
*What if you’re single? Honestly, these are all great activities to plan with a friend, too. Get out there and seize the summer!
1. Catch an Outdoor Concert or Movie
Every city has its annual concert series, film festivals, and music celebrations—many of them held outdoors during the summer. Why not make an evening of it when your favorite performer comes to town—or favorite old movie is shown outside? Get to the venue early to enjoy an al fresco dinner before the show or try a new restaurant or food truck in the neighborhood nearby.
- Pro tip: What if your date isn’t familiar with your favorite music or movies? If they’re willing to try something new, use this as a chance to share more about your passions and what makes you “you”!
2. Book an Overnight Camping Trip
What’s more romantic than a night of stargazing and sharing a tent with your sweetheart? Those who like to camp and backpack know that the best spots of the season fill up early—especially over holidays like the Fourth of July and Labor Day. Look online or visit your local tourism bureau to find a new (or old favorite) campsite.
- Pro tip: If you’ll be away from the comforts of your shower for more than a day, pack our Rebalance™ Personal Moisturizing and Cleansing Wipes to help feel fresh and clean on-the-go.
3. Plan a Dinner Using Only Farmer’s Market Finds
Mid- to late summer is when the farmer’s markets are bursting with produce that tastes its absolute best when it’s in-season—corn, tomatoes, melons, and so much more. Why not plan ahead to make a special dinner, and then shop the market for all the ingredients you need? You can cater your whole menu around what you find—or make exceptions for one or two ingredients.
- Pro tip: Want to make this more challenging? Both you and your date can surprise each other with a secret ingredient the other must use for their part of the meal (just like an episode of “Chopped”).
4. Chart a Weekend Road Trip
There’s a reason summer is peak road trip season. The warm weather means you can roll down the windows, turn up the music, and enjoy the scenery whirling by with your favorite person. Even if you aren’t planning a big vacation, there’s plenty you can do in a weekend. Maybe it’s a nearby city, or the beach, or an out-of-town festival you’ve never gone to together. Try opening up Google Maps and consider what’s within a five-hour drive or so. Or consider making a loop that includes lots of destinations over the course of a weekend.
- Pro tip: Bring an actual (printed) map—just in case. And car chargers!
5. Get Out and Explore Your City
Does your city offer walking tours? What about a bicycle pub crawl? Or how about a class on how to sail or kayak? Learning new things is always more fun with your special someone! Not only will you have someone to talk to during the activity, but you’ll have new memories to share. Many of these activities book up early, so if this sounds like something you’d enjoy, try doing your research now and sign up ASAP.
- Pro tip: Look for discounted offers on sites like Groupon or Yelp.
6. Plan a Night at the Ball Park
Cheering on your hometown baseball team is one of the quintessential summer experiences. Even better if you can share a hot dog and beer (or soda) with your partner. Of course professional sports spectating isn’t for everyone. But if it’s something you and your date enjoy, the ballpark can actually be a fun and romantic place to spend the evening—with a cool breeze, bright lights, and the chance to catch a fly-ball for your sweetheart.
- Pro tip: Many teams have themed nights throughout the summer, such as “Star Wars Night” or “80s Night.” Pick one that you or your date are passionate about and go all out!