When it comes to personal lubricants, there’s more to know than you might think. As a society, we spend so much time thinking about what goes in our mouths, but very little thinking about what we put onto the most sensitive parts of our bodies. Unfortunately, many personal lubricants are made with synthetic chemicals, such as parabens, glycerin, and petrochemicals, that don’t always have the cleanest safety records. Some manufacturers won’t even tell you what’s in their lubricants.
With this in mind, we created a line of organic personal lubricants that are free of petrochemicals, parabens, and synthetic glycerin. They’re products that are as simple, natural, and healthy as we know how to make them — and we’ve thought about it a lot.
You might already have gone to some trouble to eliminate potential toxins and irritants from the lotions and cleaning products you use, and just never realized that they may still be affecting you if you are using a conventional personal lubricant. If that’s you, you know why an organic personal lubricant is important.
Or maybe you’re wondering what these ingredients are, and why you should care. If so, read on …
What We Don’t Use
- Petrochemicals: As the name suggests, petrochemicals are chemical ingredients derived from petroleum. Examples include butane, propylene, and methane. If the basic yuck factor doesn’t convince you to avoid these, recent studies from Johns Hopkins University have shown that petrochemicals can damage sensitive vaginal and rectal tissues. Good Clean Love organic personal lubricant is always petrochemical-free.
- Parabens: A paraben is any of a group of compounds used as preservatives in pharmaceutical and cosmetic products and in the food industry. Examples include methylparaben, propylparaben, and ethylparaben. Parabens are often used as preservatives in personal care products. Unfortunately, studies have also shown that parabens appear in cancerous breast tissue and can disrupt natural hormonal function. Good Clean Love organic personal lubricant is paraben-free.
- Synthetic Glycerin: Also called “glycerine” and “glycerol,” glycerin is a colorless, sweet, viscous liquid formed as a byproduct in soap manufacturing. It can be manufactured synthetically or extracted from vegetables, and it is used as an emollient and laxative, and for making explosives and antifreeze. We do use natural glycerin sparingly, and only in products that are not intended for internal use. We never use synthetic glycerin, because it is often formulated with petrochemicals and can damage the cellular tissue that’s designed to protect you from Bacterial Vaginosis.
So, What Is In It?
Our organic personal lubricant formulation comes from years of study, help from our Advisory Council, and, we’ll admit, some trial and error. While we’re proud of our current organic personal lubricant formulation, we’re always dedicated to improving.
Our organic personal lubricant contains:
- Organic Aloe Leaf Juice: Our organic personal lubricant contains aloe barbadensis, an incredibly healing, soothing, and moisturizing plant with a silky texture that perfectly mimics the naturally occurring moisture women naturally have inside them. Did you know? Organic aloe typically comes with thousands of harmful bacteria colonies. That’s why we’re committed to choosing a low micro variety and then pasteurizing it to ensure that no harmful bacteria reaches you.
- Natural Flavors: We use organically compliant natural flavors.
- Lactic Acid: It’s made from simple carbohydrates and helps maintain an optimal pH level. We ensure that our organic personal lubricant is from the highest quality, pharmaceutical-grade lactic acid that is not made from GMO corn. Since the majority of lactic acid made in the U.S. is made with GMO corn, we source GMO-free lactic acid from Europe. Did you know? The presence of lactic acid in a product also helps kill off harmful bacteria and helps us keep our added preservative level as low as possible.
- Xanthan Gum: Xanthan gum is a natural plant-based thickener and stabilizer that comes from fermenting sugar. There is no such thing as organic xanthan gum, but we use the cleanest sources possible. Xanthan gum helps thicken aloe’s natural runniness so that you have something that won’t fall apart when it comes out of the tube.
- Agar Agar: This is a jelly-like substance obtained from algae. We use it as an added thickener to turn our organic personal lubricant into a gel that’s a delight to hold and feel.
- Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate: We use a minimal amount of a carefully considered preservative system. Both ingredients are food-grade preservatives approved by Whole Foods and are rated on EWG’s Skin Deep Database.
Our Ingredient Philosophy
Here at Good Clean Love, we’re as committed to your health and wellbeing as we are to making the finest natural products on the market. That means that we want to keep you safe while we come up with solutions for common sexual issues.
Alas, no product is perfect, and we’re aware of the limitations of human invention thus far. Throughout the years, we’ve gotten many queries about why we include certain ingredients in our organic personal lubricant, as science and the Internet are getting better and better at keeping us informed about what we’re consuming.
It’s important to us to offer a water-based lubricant. We would love to offer you a 100% perfect, preservative-free water-based lubricant, but we also have to be realistic: water-based products can easily become a hotbed for mold, mildew and bacteria, which is something that we don’t want a single one of our customers to come into contact with, ever. We want to offer you the healthiest organic personal lubricant we can, and bacterial infections are not healthy!
The answer? We start with a low-micro variety of aloe, and pasteurize it so that we have the cleanest possible base to work from. Lactic acid helps us out against many of the remaining harmful bacteria. All this prep work allows us to use the smallest possible amount of preservatives — just enough to keep you safe, and keep your lube lasting as long as you do.
So, while we’re over here looking for the latest and healthiest of ingredients to add to our products, you can be wherever you are, enjoying what you do and who you’re with without a worry for your health and safety.
Some Added Bonuses of Using Good Clean Love
By aligning love and science, we’ve made Good Clean Love ingredients completely free of petrochemicals, synthetic glycerin, parabens, silicone, dyes and other harsh ingredients. Not only is our lubricant completely natural, it’s also 95% organic. Even better, we are also:
- 100% vegan and gluten-free
- Latex and polyisoprene compatible
- Safe for toys and throughout pregnancy
- Recommended by medical professionals